Total Pageviews

Thursday 17 March 2011

Kirklees Women’s Alliance International Women’s Day Conference

This year’s conference celebrating International Women’s Day, was held at Dewsbury Town Hall on St Patrick’s Day. It focused on the inequalities that still exist despite women’s participation and immense contribution to the political, social and economic landscape of this country.

 The speakers: representatives of the Southall Black Sisters       who serve the needs of black women, Karen Moore of the London Resource Centre which  supports Million Women Rise and Beatrice Botomani of the Bradford Refugee Forum whom I met last year at the Why Refugee Women Charter in Leeds.
    


Also the Mayor was present and gave his speech which came after my speech to the conference. I felt it was a great honour to be asked to address the conference, I enjoyed the experience and was humbled by the warmth of the reception from the audience. I had the opportunity to read my poem which encapsulates much of how I feel about women, “Women have strengths that amaze”. It was received rapturously!
There were various workshops which considered how women are affected by poverty, domestic violence, homelessness, offending behaviour, substance misuse and healing through creativity. I and all the other delegates thoroughly enjoyed the day and I for one, am already looking forward to next year’s conference.

Anayat, myself and Fakhara
Congratulations and thanks are owed to Supriya, Habi and Fakhara for their inspiration, dedication and hard work which made the conference the success it was and also for their continuing commitment to KWA.

No comments:

Post a Comment