Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 March 2011

Sudden Illness

Unfortunately, a week ago, on Saturday evening, 19th March, I suffered a stroke. I lost all feeling and movement in my left arm and leg and the left side of my face went numb. I knew immediately I was suffering a stroke and thought to myself, my career is finished! However I was lucky, it was a transient stroke, a transient ischaemia attack (TIA) to give it its medical term. It was caused by a blockage to a blood vessel, stopping the flow of blood to the brain. This eventual disperses and normal function is restored. The more serious type is a burst blood vessel which does not repair itself easily so is more permanent.
The ambulance arrived after 4 minutes I am told, and the paramedics took good care of me, got me to Pinderfields hospital very quickly and I soon came round whilst in the ambulance. I am indebted  to the paramedics for their swift response and care!
Unfortunately, whilst in A & E I suffered another stroke. This happened while I was on a trolley, not fully dressed, with electronic contacts all over my body, being monitored and feeling fragile. I was scarcely able to speak, I just wanted to be left in peace, and allow the professionals to do what was necessary.  However my wife needed someone to comfort her and was delighted when her sister arrived, she brought her into the cubicle to see me but it was the last thing I needed and caused  me to have another stroke. Luckily it was short-lived.
I was kept in hospital for 48 hours and was seen by a consultant, who said I could be discharged, subject to all the tests being positive. I had an ultra-sound scan on my neck to check for blocked arteries which showed none were blocked but narrowing had occurred. The physiotherapist and occupational therapist gave me the OK and I was given a list of exercises to strengthen my left arm and leg. I received my medications and discharge letter that evening and was happy to go home after thanking the nursing staff for the wonderful care I received.
My relatives and friends had been notified that I had suffered a stroke and feared the worst. Unfortunately they had not been told it was a mini stroke and I had recovered, which is a great shame because it caused them unnecessary alarm and upset. I would have preferred them not to have been told.
I am now well on the way to a full recovery as can be seen by this recent photo, and I am looking forward to my election campaign. When I am re-elected I will re-assess my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment